Sanitation & Recycling
All residents and businesses within the City of McDonough city limits are required to have City sanitation services. The sanitation services are provided by Republic Services.
Residential Sanitation Pick Up
The charge for sanitation service is $17.59 a month and is billed on your water bill. If you are a new customer and you are in our office before noon on Monday, you will be eligible for pick up that week; otherwise pick up will start the following week. New roll carts are typically delivered within a week of establishing new service Trash from construction, remodeling, landscaping, dirt, concrete, carpet and padding will not be collected.
The City of McDonough provides customers with a household and recycling roll cart. The large 90 gallon cart (usually blue or gray) is for household use and the 65 gallon (usually brown with a green lid) is for recycling use. The sanitation company will not service anything out side of the provided carts.
Important Things to Know
- You will be provided with a pick up schedule when applying for your water service.
- All roll carts must be placed at the curbside by 6 am on pick up day.
- Three bulk items will be serviced by the sanitation company on your service day. Bulk items have to weigh less than 50 pounds.
- If your trash or recycling is missed during the scheduled pick up day and the miss was caused by Republic Services, the re-scheduled pick up day will be on the following Friday only.
The facility located at 560 Macon Street (the old Mercer Building) is opened from 9 am to 4 pm on Monday through Friday and 8 am to 4 pm. Saturday for trash/ large item drop off (with a lunch break from 11:45 am to 1:15 pm).
Limb Pick Up
The City also provides a limb pick- up service. Please call 770-957-3915 for more information.
The City of McDonough provides sanitation services for all business/Commercial locations within the City Limits. The price for services varies depending on what type of container and the frequency of pick-ups. A Commercial sanitation application must be filled out and turned in to City Hall in order to establish Commercial sanitation services.
Recycling service is provided every two weeks on the same day as your trash is serviced. The recycle cart is brown with a green lid.
Recycling is one of the most important things we can do to preserve our planet. On a daily basis, more than 100 million Americans participate in recycling used and old materials in their household and offices, and now you can be a part of helping!
Items To Recycle
- Aluminum and metal cans
- Steel Cans
- Shredded paper (place large amounts in a plastic bag)
- Plastic and aluminum beverage containers
- Plastic containers numbered 1-7
- Newspapers, magazines, phone books, junk mail, brochures
Items Not To Recycle
- Food or food containers
- "Peanut" packaging materials
- Loose bubble wrap
- Restroom and kitchen waste paper
- Glass containers
- Glass panels
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Photographs and film
- CD's and jewel cases
Remove food waste and liquids from containers.