Criminal Investigations Division
Mission & Goals of CID
The Criminal Investigations Division (CID) is responsible for identifying and apprehending offenders, recovering property, gathering, documenting and evaluating facts regarding criminal activity, and shall initiate and assist in the prosecution of those charged with criminal offenses.
Breakdown of the Division
9 members of the McDonough Police Department are currently assigned to the Criminal Investigations Division:
- Major Kyle Helgerson
- Detective Larry Smallwood
- Detective William Poss
- Detective Henry Rodriguez
- Detective Rick May
- Detective James Sears
- Crime Scene Technician Jeff Wilkerson
- Crime Scene Detective Derrick Wilson
- CID Records Clerk, Bevery Whitworth
Duties & Responsibilities of CID
- CID investigates and Follows-up on Crimes and Criminal Activity reported to the McDonough Police Department:
- Criminal activity includes, but is not limited to, all cases of negligent and non-negligent homicide, rape and molestation, robbery, assault, stalking, kidnapping, burglary and criminal trespass, larcenies and auto thefts, and youth or juvenile offenses.
- CID also conducts administrative investigations such as alcohol licensing and permits, business backgrounds, and other investigations as assigned by the Chief of Police.
- 24/7 Availability
- CID is always available and maintain an "on-call status" when not working normal business hours.
- Hours of operations vary depending on crime trends.
Property & Evidence
You can obtain your property by filling out a Property and Evidence Release Form that can be located at the City of McDonough Police Department, in the Records Division. You will be contacted by Property and Evidence to make an appointment to pick up your property. Please be sure to bring proper identification when you are receiving your property.
You must have an appointment before you can obtain your property.