Occupational Tax Division
Feel free to pick up or submit occupational tax applications anytime during normal business hours.
Note to Business Owners
Welcome to the City of McDonough and thank you for choosing the "Geranium City" as a location for your business.
Every business in the City must apply for an Occupational Tax Certificate and renew it annually. Please feel free to visit us if you need assistance in completing the form. Our knowledgeable and friendly staff will be glad to assist you. We look forward to meeting you!
Prior to submitting an application, please verify that the physical address of your business is within city limits. Two different zip codes (30252 and 30253) have McDonough mailing addresses; however, they may not necessarily be located inside the City.
Please contact the Community Development Department at 678-432- 4622 to have your location confirmed. This office may also confirm whether your business is in compliance with the zoning code for the location and any other building code requirements. There are separate requirements for home-based businesses.
The following are exempt from paying Occupational Taxes:
- Any Non Profit Organization (will need to provide a copy of your 501C letter)
- Disabled Veterans (will need to provide a copy of your Certificate of Exemption)
You only need one occupational tax certificate to conduct business; if you are within city limits, you do not need to get a certificate from Henry County.
Certificates expire December 31st each year. Late fees will be charged after January 15th.
If you have any questions regarding your business, please email our Occupational Tax Clerk.
Visit our Applications and Forms page for relevant document.
- Documents That Can Be Used for Identification Purposes (PDF)
- For a Federal ID# contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-4933.
- For Sales Tax ID#, contact the Georgia Department of Revenue at 877-423-6711.
- For Corporate information, contact the Secretary of State at 404-656-2881.
- For a Federal Tax Exempt Status letter, contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-4933.
- For Georgia Driver's License, contact 866-754-3687.
- For State licenses contact Secretary of State, 404-656-2881.
- Restaurants provide copy of current Health Inspection Report or current food permit.
- Department of Agriculture 404-656-3627.