Demographic & Community Data
- McDonough is the County Seat of Henry County and is the Southern Gateway into the vibrant South Metro Atlanta region, where the cost and quality of living are among the many reasons it is attracting a young, vibrant workforce.
- From McDonough, you can live in and explore historic Central Georgia and can drive into and savor the amenities of the pre-eminent Southeastern U.S. metropolis. You get the best of both worlds!
- McDonough has been ranked as Extremely Livable based on low cost of living, sunny weather, high graduation rates and the abundance of nearby amenities - urban and rural.
- The cost of living in McDonough is 4% less than the national average.
- As of 2014, McDonough's population is 22,000. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 100%. The median home cost in McDonough is$131,800.
- The McDonough violent crime rate is 32% lower than both the Georgia and National averages.
- There are 14 public schools in McDonough and a total of 2,235 public schools in Georgia. There are 4 private schools in McDonough and a total of 532 private schools in Georgia.
- Many new residents are commuters and the average commute time is just over a half hour, but express lands are being added to I-75 to provide toll-payers with more-limited access through lanes while reducing commute times for all.
- The World's Busiest Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, is 30 miles away and coastal beaches are 4 - 5 hours' drive away, with Atlantic and Gulf Coasts to choose from.
- McDonough has a moderate, Southern, four season climate.
- January and February see some freezing temperatures moderated with some Spring-like days.
- July and August see cool nights and highs into the 80s and 90s – sometimes reaching triple digits.
- The highest average temperature in McDonough is August at 80 degrees.
- The coldest average temperature in McDonough is January at 45 degrees.
- The most precipitation occurs in July with 6 inches.
Henry County residents and visitors enjoy some of the finest healthcare services in the Atlanta region courtesy of Piedmont Henry Hospital, a full-service 215-bed not-for profit community hospital that is fully accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. With more than 400 doctors on staff and nearly 500 nurses, Piedmont Henry Hospital provides 24-hour emergency care plus medical, surgical and diagnostic services.
South Point is a 700,000 square foot regional shopping center, which is part of a master-planned development. Below is McDonough market data that they share:
- General Information
- Residential Trade Area
- Highway Map
Additional community information can be found on our Local Links and Planning Documents page.