• How can I change my direct deposit amount?

    Complete the Direct Deposit Form located in "Tax Forms & Direct Deposit".  Once completed email, fax, or take to HR.
  • Does the Fire Department provide and install smoke detectors?

    Yes, the Fire Department purchases or is granted a number of battery-operated smoke detectors each year.  While supplies last, residents may contact the Fire Department at the non-emergency number listed in the directory.  Arrangements will be made for fire personnel to install the detectors or replace batteries in existing battery-operated smoke detectors; however, the Fire Department does not provide hard-wired detectors. 
  • Does the Fire Department provide and install carbon monoxide (CO) detectors?

    McDonough Fire Department does not provide carbon monoxide (CO) detectors; however, arrangements will be made for the installation of CO detectors or replacement of batteries in existing detectors.  Contact either fire station at the non-emergency number in the directory list to make the request.
  • Does the Fire Department provide and install child safety car seats?

    The Fire Department does not provide child safety car seats, but we do have certified Child Safety Seat Technicians who will be happy to install your purchased car seat.  If you have questions about child safety car seats or if you would like to make an appointment to have a car seat installed, contact either Deputy Chief Dave Williams or either fire station at the numbers listed in the directory. 
  • Do I need a business License

  • What can the Stormwater utility do for me?

    The Stormwater utility can be used for Rights- of- Way drainage issues and legal Stormwater easements only; we unfortunately cannot fix your backyard. We can help with driveway pipes, clogged storm inlets on streets, and other public use items.
  • What is Stormwater?

    Stormwater is the water which falls as precipitation, which is mostly rain in this area. This water runs off driveways, sidewalks, roofs, and streets and does not soak into the ground. Stormwater can pick up debris, chemicals, dirt, and other pollutants and flow directly into a storm sewer which discharges into streams, rivers, and wetlands. Stormwater is NOT treated like household sewage. Anything that enters a storm sewer system is discharged untreated the same water bodies we use for swimming, fishing, and drinking water supply.
  • How can I obtain my property?

    You can obtain your property by filling out a Property & Evidence Release Form that can be located at the City of McDonough Police Department, in the Administrative Office. You will be contacted by Property & Evidence to make an appointment to pick up your property. Please be sure to bring proper identification when you are receiving your property.

    You MUST have an appointment before you can obtain your property.
  • What employment opportunities are available with the City of McDonough Police Department?

    Employment opportunities with the City of McDonough Police Department can be found on the Career Opportunities page.
  • How do I check on the investigative status of my case?

    If your report has been assigned to a Detective you will be contacted within a few days of filing the report and/or you will receive a letter in the mail regarding what Detective has been assigned to your case and how to contact them. If you have not heard from a Detective and you need to talk to one, you can call 770-957-1218 and ask to speak to the Investigative Aid about your case.

  • How do I file a complaint on an Officer?

  • How can I obtain a copy of an Accident or Incident Report?

    An Accident Report or Incident Report can be obtained in person from the Records Division, located at the City of McDonough Police Department, 50 Lawrencville Street, McDonough, GA  30253.

    Family Violence Reports cannot be obtained unless an arrest has been made and then only the victim or aggressor will have the rights to the report.

    Accident Reports can only be obtained by the vehicle owners or insurance companies involved in the accident.
  • How can I file a Police Report?

    For an emergency, please call 911

    For non-emergencies, you can call 770-957-1218 and ask for an Officer to come out and speak with you.

    You can also file a police report by coming to the City of McDonough Police Department, and ask for an Officer to make a Police Report.

  • Where is the City of McDonough Police Department Located?

    50 Lawrenceville Street
    McDonough, GA 30253


  • What areas does the City of McDonough Police Department cover?

  • What happens after I file my application?

    Applications are reviewed by the hiring department and a decision will be made on which applications move forward to the interview process. The length of the screening process varies depending on the volume of applications received for the particular job posting.

    For any further questions regarding the application process, please call 678-782-6220 or e-mail

  • What should I do if my address or phone number changes?

    You will need to submit your changes in writing to the Human Resources Department.
  • Where do I submit my application?

    Applications can be hand-delivered to City Hall at 136 Keys Ferry Street or they can be scanned and e-mailed to

    Applications can also be faxed to Human Resources at 678-782-6414. Note: All Police applications should be mailed or hand-delivered to the Police Department at 50 Lawrenceville Street, McDonough, GA  30253.

  • Which application do I complete?

    The general application is used for all positions with the exception of Fire and Police. Those departments have separate applications.
  • Can I just submit a resume?

    No. A resume can be attached to an application but a completed application is required for all positions. The more information you provide, the easier it will be to effectively evaluate your skills, abilities, and qualifications. Incomplete applications may be rejected, so please be thorough.
  • I missed the deadline – can I still apply?

    No. Not for that position. Once a closing date has passed, no application will be accepted or considered. Please continue to visit our site for new job postings as they become available.
  • Can I apply for more than one job at a time?

    Yes. However, a separate application must be completed for each position for which you are applying.
  • Where can I get a job application?

    Job applications can be picked up at City Hall, 136 Keys Ferry Street, McDonough, Georgia or they can be downloaded here.
  • Can I apply for a position at any time?

    The City of McDonough accepts applications only when positions are posted.
  • How do I find out what jobs are available?

    A list of available positions can be found at City Hall on the job board or on the Job Openings page.
  • How do I get a copy of a fire report?

    Incident reports are generally complete within 3-5 business days after the incident. A property owner, tenant, and/or insurer can obtain a copy of a report by contacting either McDonough Fire Station at the number listed on the directory list. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, these reports are generally furnished at no charge.
  • Does the Fire Department fill swimming pools?

    No, however, arrangements can be made for citizens to obtain the necessary meter, hose, adapters, and tools for pools to be filled. For more information, contact Deputy Chief Dave Williams in the Fire Department Directory List.

  • How do I set up a Fire Safety Event, Fire Station Tour, or Career Day for my school class, boy/girl scouts troop, etc.?

    Contact Deputy Chief Dave Williams or one of the McDonough Fire Stations in the Fire Department Directory List.

  • When can I burn?

    The statewide burn ban is in effect from May 30 – October 1 every year unless otherwise advised by GA Forestry Commission. Burning is allowed during all other times with a burn permit. When burning in the city of McDonough and Henry County, the burn piles can be no larger than 6’x6’ and must be monitored at all times. A garden hose must be readily available and in fairly close proximity to the fire. All fires must be extinguished before dark unless it is being used for cooking and/or warming.
  • How do I obtain a burn permit?

    For a Commercial Burn Permit in the city limits of McDonough contact Chief Steve Morgan in the Fire Department Directory List. The cost is $500.00. GA Forestry Commission controls all other prescribed and/or residential burning permits in Georgia. Residential Permits can be obtained over the phone at 1-877-OK2BURN.
  • How can I find out more information on McDonough 101- Citizen’s Government Academy?

  • How do I establish new water service?

  • Where is the nearest Social Security Office?

    You may call 1-800-772-1213 for a location.
  • When is the McDonough Christmas Parade?

    The McDonough Christmas Parade is always the first Saturday in December.
  • When is the Geranium Festival?

    The Geranium Festival is always the third Saturday in May. For more information please visit
  • Is the City of McDonough hiring?

    All job openings for the City of McDonough are posted on our website. Click here for job openings.

  • How do I enroll children in Henry County Schools?

    Please contact Henry County Board of Education at 33 North Zack Hinton Pkwy - 770-957-6601. (The City will provide a copy of your water bill for address verification if needed.)
  • Where is the nearest Georgia State Patrol office to renew my driver’s license?

    It is located at 619 Tanger Blvd, Locust Grove, GA 30248 - 678-565-4362.
  • Where is the post office in McDonough?

    It is located at 100 Postmaster Drive - 678-432-4319.
  • Where do I get plats and deeds for my property?

    Henry County Clerk’s Office- One Courthouse Square - 770-288-6000.
  • Is there a Chamber of Commerce in McDonough?

    Yes, Henry County Chamber of Commerce is located at 1709 Hwy 20 West. 770-957-5786
  • Are the City of McDonough taxes billed with the Henry County tax bills?

    Yes, they are included with their bill; you will see the separate amount at the bottom of your bill.
  • Where do I get a passport?

    They are issued through Henry County Probate Court at 99 Sims Street - 770-288-7600.

    You may also obtain one at the McDonough Post Office at 100 Postmaster Drive - 678-432-4319.
  • Where do I get a marriage license, birth certificate, death certificate and gun permit?

    They are issued through Henry County Probate Court at 99 Sims Street- 770-288-7600.
  • What happens if a person does work without a permit?

    The owner of a property is responsible for what transpires on his/her property, but licensed contractors know that permits are required before work begins as the rule is a part of the test for licensing. ANY PERMITS pulled without proper permits will be penalized.
  • Who is responsible for obtaining a permit?

    The owner of a property is responsible for what transpires on his/her property, but licensed contractors know that permits are required before work begins as the rule is a part of the test for licensing.
  • How do I check on the status of my permit?

    You may contact a staff person within the Building Division at 770-898-3506.
  • How long will it take to get a building permit?

    Depending upon the complexity of the project, a building permit could be issued the same day for a simple residential deck or up to four weeks for a complicated commercial structure.
  • Can you expedite my permit?

    All permits are reviewed for compliance with the codes and processed as quickly as possible. There is not an additional expediting process.
  • Are separate permits required? If so, why?

    Yes. Georgia law, O.C.G.A. 43-14, requires all persons contracting or performing for hire any plumbing, electrical, low voltage, heating-air conditioning, or utility work in Georgia to be duly and currently licensed by the Georgia State Construction Industry Licensing Board for that work. The purpose of this is to regulate building and construction in the City of McDonough, to provide for the administration and enforcement of the Georgia State Minimum Standard Codes, and to establish procedures for the permitting and inspection of buildings within the City of McDonough. This requirement is also required of homeowners attempting the work themselves.
  • Why is a building permit required?

    The purpose of permitting is to ensure that the minimum code standards are being met to preserve the public's safety, health, and welfare.
  • What permits are required?

    A permit is required when any owner, authorized agent, or contractor wants to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, or demolish a building or structure. Also a permit is required to install, enlarge, alter, or replace, any electrical, gas, mechanical, plumbing, or sprinkler systems. The installation is regulated by the City’s technical codes, and a permit is required prior to the work beginning.
  • What are the fees associated with obtaining a permit?

  • Why is the Code important?

    The municipal code of the City of McDonough creates structure within the City government and protects the welfare of the citizens and the environment. The Code is accessible to all citizens on the City of McDonough’s website or at City Hall.

  • How does the Code Enforcement Office enforce the City Code?

    The Code Enforcement Office enforces the code when a violation is reported or found.

    In most cases, the person responsible for the violation is notified of the violation, briefed on how to correct the violation in order to meet compliance requirements, and given an opportunity to correct the violation within an established time period.

    If voluntary compliance efforts are unsuccessful, then the responsible person is issued a citation and ordered to appear before the Judge in the McDonough Municipal Court.
  • What is the McDonough City Code?

    The municipal code of the City of McDonough is a charter and a book of ordinances used as a tool in the administration of the City’s affairs and to create an active law for the City of McDonough.

    For more information, please see the code online.
  • What is the Code Enforcement Office?

    The Code Enforcement Office is a functional area within the Planning and Zoning Division of the Community Development Department. Our focus is the enforcement of the City Codes and the Zoning Ordinance through education and compliance.
  • How do I report an ordinance violation?

    You can report a violation directly to the Code Enforcement Office by telephone at 678-414-8330, by email at, or by letter to:

    Community Development Department
    Code Enforcement Office
    136 Keys Ferry Street
    McDonough, GA 30253
  • Is my City of McDonough Occupation Tax Certificate transferable from one location in McDonough to another?

    No, if your City of McDonough business relocates within the City of McDonough you must first notify the City of McDonough’s Business Registration Division of this change. You will be required to complete the change of name/address form. If your business closes or relocates to another jurisdiction, you must notify the City of McDonough’s Business Registration Division. Then you will need to go to the jurisdiction in which you have moved your business.
  • Are all businesses required to get a Tax ID number (FEIN or EIN)? Where do I get such numbers?

    Yes. Contact the Georgia Department of Revenue at (404) 968-0480.
  • Why are businesses required to get an Occupation Tax Certificate?

    The City of McDonough’s Code of Ordinances requires an Occupation Tax Certificate to insure that businesses are being operated in the appropriately zoned districts and that the necessary safety inspections are conducted.
  • How do you know when it is time to renew your Occupation Tax Certificate?

    Occupation taxes run per calendar year and expire on December 31 of each year. A Business Update Form is mailed to businesses (home and commercial) in October and that form is to be completed and returned to our Business Registration Division by the first of December each year so updated information can be used in the calculation of the invoice.

  • Is a Home Business required to be inspected by the Fire Department?

    No. Only commercial businesses require Fire inspections.
  • How long does it take to get a certificate?

    Usually 7-10 business days but the process can take longer in some cases.
  • Are there any uses that are specifically prohibited as a home occupation?

    Please call Tina Tebo (678-432-4622) with any questions regarding types of businesses allowed in the home.
  • What qualifies as a home business?

    Home based businesses must all be administrative offices only.
  • How much is a Business Registration fee for a Home Occupation or Commercial Business?

    The actual cost of the license will vary depending on the type of business and the revenue of the business. A minimum fee of $100.00 will apply to all licenses.
  • What forms of payment do you accept?

    You may pay via check, cash, or money order. Please make any check payable to the City of McDonough and mail it to 136 Keys Ferry Street; 3rd floor, McDonough, Georgia 30253, or you may deliver a payment to our office Monday – Friday 8am to 5pm.
  • Can I make a payment online?

  • When is the Christmas Parade and how do I receive an application?

    The Christmas Parade is scheduled for the first Saturday in December. Applications may be downloaded from the City of McDonough’s website or you may pick up an application at City Hall, 136 Keys Ferry St. The parade applications are received on a first come; first serve basis. Only the first 80 entries will be accepted. You may contact the Clerk’s office with questions at 678-782-6205.
  • How do I request a Proclamation?

    To request a Proclamation, you may contact the Mayor’s Executive Assistant at 678-782-6265.

  • How do I request to speak during a council meeting?

    If you would like to speak during a council meeting, you may contact the Clerk’s office at 678-782-6205.

  • How can I obtain a copy of previous council meeting minutes?

    You may obtain a copy of previous council meeting minutes by visiting the City of McDonough website

    or by calling the Clerk’s office at 678-782-6205.

  • Where do I go to vote?

    Please refer to the Municipal Elections page.
  • How do I schedule a meeting with the Mayor?

    You may schedule a meeting with the Mayor by contacting the Mayor and Councilmember’s Executive Assistant at 678-782-6265.

  • How do I contact a Councilmember?