Occupational Tax Division
The office hours are Monday - Friday, 8AM -5PM.
Feel free to pick up or submit occupational tax applications anytime during normal business hours.
Note to Business Owners:
Welcome to the City of McDonough and thank you for choosing the “Geranium City” as a location for your business.
Every business in the City must apply for an Occupational Tax Certificate and renew it annually. Please feel free to visit us if you need assistance in completing the form. Our knowledgeable and friendly staff will be glad to assist you. We look forward to meeting you!
Prior to submitting an application, please verify that the physical address of your business is within city limits. Two different zip codes (30252 and 30253) have McDonough mailing addresses; however, they may not necessarily be located inside the City.
Please contact the Community Development Department at 678-432- 4622 to have your location confirmed. This office may also confirm whether your business is in compliance with the zoning code for the location and any other building code requirements. There are separate requirements for home-based businesses.
If your business is EXEMPT from paying Occupational Taxes due to non-profit status or because you are paying occupation tax to another jurisdiction, please let us know.
You only need one occupational tax certificate to conduct business; if you are within city limits, you do NOT need to get a certificate from Henry County.
Certificates expire December 31 each year. Renewals are past due on the following January 15;
If you have any questions regarding your business, please contact Occupational Tax Clerk
Office: 678- 782- 6225, Fax: 678-782-6444, Email: email@example.com
Documents That Can Be Used for Identification Purposes
April 2014 secure and verifiable document list
- For a Federal ID# contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-4933, http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/State-and-Federal-Online-Business-Registration
- For Sales Tax ID#, contact the Georgia Department of Revenue at 877-423-6711 http://georgia.gov/popular-topic/applying-state-taxpayer-identification-number
- For Corporate information, Contact Secretary of State (404) 656- 2881 www.sos.state.ga.us
- For a Federal Tax Exempt Status letter contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-4933, http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits
- For Georgia Driver’s License, contact (866) 754-3687
- For State licenses contact Secretary of State , 404.656.2881 http://sos.ga.gov/index.php/?section=licensing
- Restaurants provide copy of current Health Inspection Report or current food permit. http://www.district4health.org/environmental-health/food-service/770.288.6190
- Department of Agriculture (404) 656-3627 http://agr.georgia.gov/retail.aspx