| Incorporated: 1823
| 2010 Estimate: 20,000
| 2007 Estimate: 13,208
2000 Estimate: 4,809
The City of McDonough is the county seat of Henry County. It was incorporated in 1823 and named for Commodore Thomas MacDonough, the hero of Lake Champlain during the War of 1812.
The Brown House in McDonough is home to the Henry County Historical Society. Built in 1826, the building was the home of Andrew McBride, a Revolutionary War veteran from South Carolina. The home became the Brown House Hotel after it was expanded in 1874. The Romanesque Style Henry County courthouse, built in 1897, is also located in McDonough and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
McDonough is home to a number of major national and international companies including Snapper Products, one of the county’s major employers. McDonough has an ongoing tourism and Main Street program and hosts a number of annual events, including the Henry County Fair held each Fall and the Geranium Festival in May. McDonough also hosts the Roberto Clemente World Series in mid-July at Richard Craig Park.
McDonough has been designated as a “City of Character” and a “City of Ethics” by the Georgia Municipal Association.
Here you will find information from the following areas: